Our 18 Favorite Lick Mat Treat Fillers
If your dog or cat is stressed, bored, or suffers from separation anxiety, we recommend trying a lick mat. The lick mat is a durable rubber mat with a textured surface. Simply spread food or a favorite treat on the mat. Your pet will focus on the pleasurable repetitive licking action, releasing endorphins that help calm and soothe.
Although many of our customers like to spread peanut butter (see warnings below) or yogurt on the lick mat, we’ve come up with these healthy and easy-to-use options:
- Mashed Banana – Bananas provide an excellent source of prebiotics for gut health.
- Mashed Berries – Any variety of berries, either fresh or frozen, are tasty options (blueberries have a high antioxidant value).
- Mashed Sweet Potato – The sweet potato is a superfood for dogs and a great source of antioxidants and fiber.
- Primal Fresh Toppers – An aromatic whole food topping that targets immune, joint, or digestive health.
- Green Juju – A blend of superfood veggies and bone broth supports the immune system, digestion, joints, and your pet’s skin and coat.
- Unsweetened Applesauce – Use organic applesauce with only one ingredient on the label: apples.
- Dog Safe Peanut Butter – Not all peanut butter is safe for pets due to additives. We recommend Nature’s Logic.
Preference for Savory
- Any Canned (Wet) Food – This type of food offers a variety of proteins and textures so every pet can find something to enjoy. For super-picky pets, we suggest Weruva.
- Mashed Raw Food or Toppers – Using these foods in as little as 20% of the diet can help prevent disease and promote longevity. For puppies, kittens, or senior pets, try Instinct Longevity.
- West Paw Beef Liver Paste – Beef liver is a high-value and nutritionally dense treat, now in a convenient squeeze bottle.
- Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up – A delicious soluble and insoluble fiber that it’s great for digestive health.
- Primal Goat Milk – Offers natural probiotic benefits for a healthy gut.
- Green Juju Bone Broth –A tasty and rich broth that coats the intestines to maximize nutrient absorption, heal the gut, and reduce inflammation.
- Bones and Co. Goat Whip – A low-carb superfood that includes goat milk with beef collagen for improved gut health.
- DentaTreat – Mix this mixed flavorful cheese-based powder with some water to create an enzyme-rich paste that reduces plaque, tartar, and bad breath.
- Eggs – Eggs are a great all-natural treat for your dog. Serving eggs raw is best, and scrambled (with no seasoning) is okay. Start small and feed according to the weight of your pet 1-2 times a week.
- Plain Unsweetened Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt promotes the growth of healthy gut bacteria and is a treat your pet is sure to enjoy.
- Super Snouts CBD Peanut Butter – A scrumptious peanut butter with the added benefit of joint support and anxiety reduction.
Variety is vital for optimal health, so feel free to combine any of these foods when you put them on a lick mat.